Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Granola Bar *Recipe


These are the most yummy homemade snack. 

I was hesitant to try a granola bar thinking that my kids would probably snub them. They are granola bar connoisseurs. When I quit buying pretty much all processed food snacks, granola bars were the last to go. They seemed so.... healthy. So the kidlets got an unhealthy taste for them.

On a family camping trip, my sister brought along her homemade granola bars. The kids snarfed them down like they were sneaking Easter candy. She was onto something. I thought though that they may be too much work. I don't really put time intensive snack making on my list of to-dos everyday so they just didn't get made.

Last week my Sara came over and showed me how to make them so I could bring them to a homeschool group Valentine party. They are so easy! She took all the pics and then blogged about it. My turn!

The original recipe came from a cookbook entitled Miserly Meals .

This is my version!
Oiling the Pans

Dry

Optional Yumminess

Mixing

Press in pan and Bake

Snacky Goodness


Granola Bars
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour (could substitute if you can't do wheat)
1 cup brown sugar  (check out my substitute)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup molasses
1/2-3/4 cup of honey 
*optional ingredients

Combine the dry ingredients.  Then add molasses, honey, and vanilla.  Use your hands to get it good and mixed up. (Perhaps you have helper for this job?) It should stick together, like you could roll it into a ball. If it is too dry add a bit more honey. If it is too sticky add a bit more flour. Press into a 9x12 pan that has been greased with coconut oil. Bake at 325 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and then cut into bars. 

*OPTIONAL Yumminess can be added with the honey and molasses. Add 1 cup of any of the following: dried fruit (we did golden raisins, raisins, and dried cranberries), chocolate chips, coconut, sunflower seeds, or chopped nuts. Go and get your creative thinking cap on. These are so versatile!

These bars were crunchy and very satisfying. They would did make a lovely breakfast and snacktime treat. Enjoy!

Always Blessed, 
Gretchen  :)

Possibly Linking With:


10 comments:

  1. I've just gotta try these!! I pinned them as that is where I keep lots of my favorite recipes, and also then others can try them too!! Thanks for linking up over at WholeHearted Home this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pin recipes I want to try as well! These are truly easy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these a long time ago from the Miserly Meals cookbook. Thanks for the reminder...pinning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to pin this to try it out because we love granola bars in our house, and this looks fairly easy. Plus, like you said, we need to avoid that processed food. BTW, I'm featuring this post from the Domestic Randomness linky party, so I hope you'll stop by thedomesticatedprincess.com this weekend to grab a button!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...looks very healthy & yummy...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve always loved these granola bars &have varied the dried fruits according to various requests from my kids. Love your recipes & wish you the best forever.

    Zia
    Heard about Bellevue Reverse Mortgages

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear your feedback, thoughts, ideas, and comments. Let's just keep it respectful, ok?